Flat Tax?

Steve Bruns sbruns at kuntrynet.com
Fri Jan 22 11:41:12 PST 1999

What puzzles me is that most people I come in contact with think a flat tax will greatly simplify their form 1040. It looks like the complexity is in determining what is exactly income, not the arithmetic in figuring the tax after making that determination. Besides, isn't the primary purpose of the tax code to direct economic activity rather than raise revenue? That ain't a rhetorical question.

Steve Bruns