An Inteseting Statistical Series

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Sat Jan 23 10:06:11 PST 1999

Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote:

> My point is that the Dow isn't an objective measure in the first, since
> it's basis changes over time more to suit promotional/ideological
> purposes than for any objective reasons.

Yes, but any changes to it are announced well in advance, so anybody who wants to replicate its financial performance can easily do so. The Dow Jones represents something very real: the approximate value of stock ownership. The ratio of the weekly wage to the dow jones is very relevant, but one should compare apples to apples. The easiest way to do it is to use nominal (rather than inflation-adjusted) wages to the non-adjusted Dow Jones index (which I wouldn't know how to correct for inflation, anyway).

Enrique