Dick Armey

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 08:28:54 PST 1999

In message <3.0.1.32.19990123163020.0074beb0 at pop.mindspring.com>, pms <laflame at mindspring.com> writes
>>> A friend from Georgia just last night told me that at some point Cobb
>>> County passed an ordinance requiring all county residents to own a
>>> firearm. She didn't know if it held up/was challenged in court.
>>>
>>> frances
>>>

>No. This is true. But it wasn't Cobb Co. It was the city of Kennesaw. Where
>I spend most of the holidays. I'll ask about current status, but it was in
>effect for sometime. My Kennesaw friends illegally owned no firearms.

In his excellent book Militarism and Anti-militarism, the Spartacist Karl Liebknecht argued that the arming of the populace would be the best guard against the state's monopoly of violence, as well as the best guarantee of democracy and peace. Since he was killed by the state militia of the Freikorps, you can see why he wanted to share out the firearms.

I'm interested to know when it became a radical position to disarm the populace, and a conservative one to arm it. Is the left more happy to see the state exercise a monopoly over force than the right? Or does it feel more alienated from the people? -- Jim heartfield