Right Wing Links to the World & Heritage on SS cap.

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Jan 24 12:25:03 PST 1999

> Max, anyone? How about this claim that removing the cap will
> reduce income
> for 23+ mil families by an average of $9100? Even if it's irrelevant, it
> sounds way off.

It does sound high (both the amount and the number affected), but not necessarily way off.

Nobody's pushing an uncapping, so it's not something I need to investigate right now. Plus I'm against it, tho not for the same reasons as Heritage. Don't forget benefits are capped too. To some extent political support for the program hinges on current limits to the degree of implied redistribution. Now isn't a great time to test those limits, but I would say to defend the basic concept of the program.

mbs