[Fwd: The Politics of Cancer]

Eric V. Kirk kirk at humboldt.net
Sun Jan 24 15:21:40 PST 1999

Actually, that's not entirely true. We have a number of rivers that still breed salmon, although most are threatened. The only truly pristine river left outside of Alaska is the 10 mile river just north of Fort Bragg in Mendocino County. Environmentalists are trying to prevent a hotel from being built at the mouth.

The Mattole, long protected by back-to-the-land hippie activists is finally on the list of suffering rivers due to the logging practices of recent years and erosion.

There are a number of rivers to our north that still have salmon, but all are threatened. Still, outside of Alaska, Northern California is the only state left with significant salmon runs. Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia are virtually dead due to a combination punch of overfishing, logging practices, and river wide gill-netting by Indian tribes (a source of conflict within the environmental movement not anxious to blame Native Americans for environmental destruction).

The Eel River salmon are long dead, due to all sorts of pollution, logging practices, and the PG&E dam which did not adequately protect the fish, as well as the diversion to Santa Rosa.

I know it was just an anecdote, but the fish aren't gone yet.

Yours,

Eric