structural adjustment

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Sun Jan 24 17:27:50 PST 1999

Doug quotes at some length from Jane Kelsey's book The New Zealand

Experiment: A World Model for Structural Adjustment? (Auckland University

Press/Bridget Williams Books, 1995). For LBO's interested in NZ restructuring you might like to checkout 'Political Regulation in New Zealand' in the latest Studies in Political Economy (51 I think). I sure Dave would be grateful for any feed back on this article. As an aside, while I feel Kelsey's book is an admirable account of restructuring in NZ I think that it falls into the trap of much Social democratic literature in that it tends to see the neo liberal restructuring project as simply an evil plot by particularly cunning mal-inclined puppets of capital while glossing the very real structural difficulties that confronted social democracy in the 70's & 80's. Bill Cochrane