Reproductive Technology and 'Sex Change' (was Re: homophobia)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sun Jan 24 20:34:25 PST 1999

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Yoshie wrote:

> Partly so, but why did they come up with 'sex change' and Deidre McCloskey
> at the mention of reproductive technology? It seems to me that 'sex change'
> (which has much to do with changes in gender + sexual identities and
> changes nothing about reprductive capacity) + Deidre had little to do with
> reproductive technology, be it micro or macro.

Did they really? I wasn't following the entire thread, I confess. Well, it's a bunch of men here, and they were probably thinking of Deidre's repudiation of her original reproductive organs, meanwhile uncomfortably thinking of their own connection to their own reproductive organs, I'm sure.

Cynically yours, frances