article in lingua franca

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Jan 24 22:02:51 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Pomo stars don't make as much as medical school stars or mainstream
> economics stars, do they? Factor in all the adjuncts and TAs, and I'll bet
> your average pomoista makes less than a truck driver.

The stars and the TAs are not comparable. It's like comparing Michael Jordan with a semi-professional player. I mention this because the star system in academia is one of the more pernicious trends. Wasn't Columbia offering Robert Barro, a hack at best, $300,000 + all sorts of subsidiary perqs? At the same time, TAs and adjuncts offer cut rate services.

You are correct that the difference is probably greater in medicine and economics. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu