Reproductive Technology and 'Sex Change' (was Re: homophobia)

Eric V. Kirk kirk at humboldt.net
Mon Jan 25 07:36:57 PST 1999

Just to add my 2 cents. The term "sex change" is a misnomer in most cases. People have the operation, not because they want to "change" their sex, but because they were born with a birth defect that gave them the wrong parts (ie. they are already the "opposite sex" and simply need corrective surgery). In that sense, I'm not even sure the term "transgender" pre-op and post-op are appropriate.

Yours,

Eric