More on race

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Jan 25 13:18:34 PST 1999

> >> Emancipation, and half of our black men between twenty four and
> >> thirty five are without full time employment.

Black unemployment rate, avg, 89-97: 11.7% Percent of black workers with regular, full-time jobs, 1997: 78.7

(does not include those w/"non-standard" arrangements, such as

contract workers, self-employed, temp agencies, etc. All black males, unemployment plus 'underemployment': 27%

This notwithstanding, Gates' statement here could be literally true, if arguably misleading. I'd say it gives a bleaker picture than warranted, though the picture is bleak enough as it is. I couldn't find the exact stat that would either confirm or deny in the time I spent.

> One black man graduates for every one hundred who go to jail.

> ALmost of black children live in poverty.

May have been a crucial number missing above. If the missing number was 40 %, then he's right. Or he may have said "almost all." Or he may have meant that children is just kiddies under six, and 44.8 is "almost" half.

Overall black poverty rate, 1996: 28.4% Kiddie poverty rate, black, 1996: 39.9%

(children under 18)

(children under 6) 44.8

> >Gates badly needs to spend a little time looking
> >into the Stat Abstract, or better the State of Working
> >America.
>
> What'd he get wrong?
>
> Doug

mbs