Kinsley on SS

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 25 17:16:05 PST 1999

Jason, I hope you realize that your very statement is another way of recognizing of the existence of market inefficiency in the interest rates market. The widespread international arbitrage on the principle of open interest parity (in banking parlance, one kind of this type of activity is known as "carry trade") was a major profit source until July 1997. There is a theoretical relationship between exchange rates and interest rates for all currencies which follows certain patterns of convergence. For example, there is a paired convergence between the Austrian dollar and the Japanese Yen based on historical data that a computerized model can detect, while the linkage between the two economies are not obvious. Many hedge funds did arbitrage convergence trades on this for months at a time, on foreign exchanges and interest rates and equity prices. LTCM's down fall was mainly caused by a paradigmic shift that voided the calculation behind their interest rates hedges (th inverted curve between long and short term interests, to be exact). Their bet on market inefficiency turned on them.

Henry C.K. Liu