question

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Mon Jan 25 19:55:02 PST 1999

Frances Bolton (PHI) wrote:

> Barbara McClintock, perhaps? There's a book written about her *A Feeling
> for the Organism* or some such. Evelyn Fox Keller wrote it.

No, McClintock worked with corn genetics at a time when the men all went into fruit flies. This gave her an un-expected advantage, since she could actually SEE the effects of genes on development.

The name of the book is correct, though, and a very good book it is. Keller is also the author of *On Gender and Science*, one of THE major works of science criticism.

Lynn Margulis, as someone else already mentioned, is the biologist who first proposed that the cell is actually a symbiot in her 1970 book, *Origin of Eukaryotic Cells*. It's out of print now, but she has a number of other books in print. She was also responsible, along with James Lovelock, for the earliest articulation of Gaia theory. She was married to Carl Sagan around that time, and has written a number of books with their son, Dorian Sagan.

I would dare say it would be darn near impossible for a man of similar stature to be so obscure. But, then, there AREN'T too many men of similar stature. I mean, talk about a fundamental discovery...

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"