teaching in college: 2nd Note to Mike Yates

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Jan 26 12:34:31 PST 1999

I agree with Yoshie partly that a lot of non-academics view professors as woolly-pated fools and suckers out of touch with the real world and sort of pathetic with their pay that is not that of doctors, lawyers, or Wall Street investment bankers, not to mention movie or sports stars or even a lot of "Main Street" business people, although generally better than many other members of the working class (of which they are a part, even though most don't recognize or admit it).

However, it seems that even so there is a lot of resentment in particular of tenure. Last I saw a majority of Americans oppose it. I hear non-academics tell me how they can be fired on the spot for almost nothing (if they are in the private sector). Why shouldn't we be like them? Barkley Rosser On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:05:29 -0500 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu