Total Return and GDP Growth

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Tue Jan 26 14:02:59 PST 1999

Dean Baker while he was still at EPI released a paper, Saving Social Security in Three Steps, which figures future stock market *total* returns as an average annual 3.5%. The historical rate is 7% annually. Baker used the projected GDP growth rate published in the Trustees's Report.

Depending when you begin averaging GDP growth, from the figures of the actuaries at the Social Security Administration, we get an average GDP growth of about 1.5%. Actually, their GDP growth is a shrinking figure, ending up at 1.2% in 2075.

Anyhow, if total return historically is roughly twice GDP, Seth Ackerman's take sounds about right to me. It is total return we are talking about.

As to why stock market total returns are twice GDP growth, I pass.

-- Homines id quod volunt credunt.