Beyond The Politics of Cancer Alone

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Thu Jan 28 07:35:21 PST 1999

True but it's interesting how hard it is to promote this without the usual pitfalls -- in which in typically American fashion it's all up to the individual..One could also argue that the whole Green Consumerist thing, the idea that you can save the world by your individual choices, carrying around a mug instead of getting styofoam cups, etc (which even McDonald's tapped into, using groovy brown bags instead of plastic. But I'm not obsessed with McDonald's, honest!) has been very bad for environmentalism -- encouraging the idea that pollution can be reversed through better lifestyle when most of it probably can't -- most of it is on a very large scale and demands political solutions. Most of which involve governments cracking down on corporate polluters, I'd guess. the important thing to figure out about lifestyle changes is how they can be about communities and whole cities and therefore sustainable -- 100 things *You* Can Do To Save the Earth is a formula for useless moral cleanliness.