Butler and bad writing

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Thu Jan 28 13:51:45 PST 1999

On Thu, January 28, 1999 at 10:58:38 (-0800) Dennis R Redmond writes:
>On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, William S. Lear wrote:
>
>> She's "theorizing" the lesbian movement? How does she test her
>> "theories"? And how does this make her *ideas*, in contrast to her
>> subject, novel? Sure, she's used new (big and obscure) words, but
>> when you unravel what is there, there's nothing really new that has
>> not been said before in a much simpler way. She's covering up banal
>> truisms and leaps of Hegelian fantasy with pretentious verbiage.
>
>You read -- and understand -- Hegel? How is she a Hegelian, pray tell? How
>do the motifs of early 19th century idealism and the tropes of the
>nation-state apply to the world of late capitalism?

This is getting tiresome. You ignore most of what I write so I'm dropping this after this reply. Perhaps she is Hegelian because she uses "quasi-medieval metaphors that Hegel employed", perhaps because she sees a "splitting" of the subject in the performative, perhaps because of the Hegelian master-servant mutated as subject-agent, perhaps because she immersed herself in his writings and has done her thesis (or dissertation?) on Hegel ... see some of the other posts for more details.

I'm not interested in talking about "motifs" and "tropes" (nice of you to casually distill the early part of the "19th century" as "idealism", whatever that is supposed to mean, without providing anything of substance) --- I am not denying that there are important differences between now and then, but to claim that the differences are so immense that an entirely new phraseology must be invented and deployed is, to me, sheer nonsense. And what are you implying about the 19th century ("early" or not, I only referred to the 19th century) "nation-state"? Are you saying that the US was such a place? Great Britain?

Butler is supposedly developing a "theory" of "subjection", and if her focus is so narrow that it applies to little more than New York City lesbian couples (I mean, golly, how do the "motifs" of New York apply to those in Kansas City? Has Butler actually visited Kansas City?) living in 1999 (who understand postmodernist reasoning) it is too narrow to be of any general use, and hardly deserves the word "theory".

Bill