[PEN-L:2680] Duke University's literature department

Fri Jan 29 07:57:31 PST 1999

Wasn't the dissolution of classical economics by marginalism based on the critique of fixed identities? Instead of classes fixed by relations of production, we find that workers can become entrepreneurs by the investment in human capital and entrepreneurs are utility maximizing consumers in the determination of their technological mixes. Instead of classes, we find a multiplicity of identities which each agent, regardless of her class, assumes in her daily interaction. The social landscape is levelled so that multiple identities, available to all, can blossom.