[PEN-L:2680] Duke University's literature department

jmage at panix.com jmage at panix.com
Fri Jan 29 11:33:02 PST 1999

>William S. Lear wrote:
>
>>Jesus Doug, I'm stunned, this is really insulting. How am I anywhere
>>near an "old-style leftist"? How am I concerned about the "sorry
>>state of Marxism"? I really could care less about the "relative
>>success, in intellectual circles, of postmodernism". Do you really
>>think I have a problem with "instability and uncertainty"?

Doug wrote

>I certainly don't mean to insult you, Bill, not in the least, and I'm sorry
>if it looked that way. You do seem to think that it's easier to tell the
>real from the unreal and the true from the untrue than I do, and you're
>inclined to rank stylistic clarity higher on the list of virtues than I
>would. But I wasn't addressing you when I made those comments. I was
>thinking mostly of the folks around Monthly Review - people I have a lot of
>sympathy with on many issues -

Like whom...? If I ever had any concern about the "relative success, in intellectual circles, of postmodernism" it was focused on the convenience of judgemental relativism in regard to what is real or unreal or true or untrue in the interests of Nazi scum like Heidegger and DeMan.

John Mage