Opacity of the Subject (Was: Bulter and Bad Writing)

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 29 16:54:22 PST 1999

> Final quip, and perhaps a cheap shot, but I have to say it: not all
> mirrors are totally opaque. So-called pellicle mirrors, used in
> motion picture cameras, both transmit and reflect light. If we must
> have a metaphor for subjectivity, I prefer this one, with its strange
> and fascinating possibilities.
> --
> Curtiss

actually Curtiss this is completely awesome. If and when you have time I'd really like to know more about this. A friend and I are working on an paper where this might be really useful. I'll get to the rest of your queries in a bit. Bad timing for me right now. If I forget, bring it up. But honestly I'm no expert on any of this stuff, just throwing things out there to generate discussion.

As for ont/epis--it seems you're working with limited categories. There's an overview of these debates i a fairly decent book called _critical theory and methodology_ the author lays out various kinds of critical theory, the aporias each face and shows how we might go about linking theory and methodology to research.