Economy and Inebriation (and Mongolia)

Michael Ash mash at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jan 29 18:04:44 PST 1999

There was a recent exchange on the social causes of alcoholism that mentioned the social cost of transition in Mongolia. There was a good article that ran recently in American Ethnologist on exactly this topic. Here is the citation:

Williams, DM. Grazing the body: violations of land and limb in Inner Mongolia. AMERICAN ETHNOLOGIST, NOV, 1997, V24(N4):763-785.

Sincerely,

Michael Ash mash at econ.berkeley.edu University of California tel 510/643-7094 [off] Department of Economics & 510/644-0338 [res] Institute of Industrial Relations 510/643-7064 [lab] 2521 Channing Way 510/642-6432 [fax] Berkeley, CA 94720-5555 http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~maash

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Marta Russell wrote:
>
> >A while back there was a discussion about social causes of alcoholism.
> >Alec, I think you raised the question. There is an article in the LA
> >Times this morning, "Economy, Inebriation Linked in Mongolia"
> >(Associated Press), making a direct link between increased use of
> >alcohol in Mongolia and the transition from communism to capitalism.
> >It's terribly sad what is happening there, poverty and unemployment have
> >soared.
> >
> > I don't have a scanner or I would post it here.
>
> It wasn't on the LAT site, but I nabbed it from Yahoo.
>
> Doug
>
> ----
>
> Yahoo! News AP Headlines
> Wednesday January 13 1:36 AM ET
>
> Some Mongolians Turn To Liquor
>
> By JOHN LEICESTER Associated Press Writer
> ULAN BATOR, Mongolia (AP) - It's 10:30 p.m., and Ulan Bator's drunks are
> howling. Out of their mind on cheap liquor, they rant and rattle the iron
> bars of a police cell. The stink of vodka and unwashed bodies hangs heavy
> in the air.

[Rest of article deleted]