Baird query re profits 'n' stock prices.

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Sat Jan 30 10:36:55 PST 1999

Baird raises an interesting point (on an LBO post) pertinent to the disccussion of how stock returns (not profits as such; retained earnings can be reinvested) could exceed the growth of GDP. I.e, out old friend, concentration. It's certainly the case that as Wal Mart's displaces boutiques GDP might stay the same while the listed profit of stocks goes up. Nominally we would expect Wal Mart to be more efficient. But on the conservative assumption that there was no efficiency and/or growth in sales gain, that total wages spent to move products were the same, that the profits were smushed over from the boutiques to the Wal Marts, we would still have a neutral GDP effect while the S&P 500 was pushed higher. It stands to reason that GDP could grow at one rate and S&P could grow faster.

It follows from this that there is a non-trivial error in using stocks as a proxy indicator of profits.

Given Marx's emphasis on concentration as a feature of capitalism, a disconnect between S&P growth and GDP might even be *required*. Baird has offered a very elegant solution to the question we've pushed around on both lists. I like it quite a bit.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298