Dear Doug & Max

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Jan 30 14:28:50 PST 1999

Charles,

> Forever is a long time. Even the sun will eventually burn out. Do
> you mean for the rest of most of our lives ? I guess that's the
> equivalent of forever for us as mortal individuals.

I mean that speculation as to the End of Days is not very useful. It dovetails with political perspectives that premise insurgency on economic collapse, and that's weak. Thus in my view it is not a productive type of politics. It's can act as a crutch for those with untenable politics or as a pseudo-radical excuse to abstain from politics. Of course, if anybody really believes the collapse is coming, then they should start stocking up on canned food and get fitted for his-and-hers biohazard suits.

> I guess what I would say is why give the bourgeoisie the benefit
> of the word "forever", when some people are going to respect your
> opinion as an expert. Use that platform to put doubt in people's
> minds about the "permanence", really "longevity" of it all.

Just telling the truth as I see it. If I get any respect, I hope it's for that.

Cheers,

Max