Dear Doug & Max

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 31 09:37:27 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

<<But a continual state of outrage, for which I don't fault anyone from an emotional or moral standpoint, seems disproportionate to another 100 years of barbarianism. It requires too much concentrated energy, whereas the proper politics needs to conserve energy for the long haul. Otherwise burn-out ensues.>>

I once heard Lenin quoted as having said that the three revolutionary virtues were (1) patience (2) patience (3) patience. (This may be apocryphal -- I haven't seen it in anything I've read by Lenin.) For 2 years now I have been working with an admirable woman in the local depressive and manic depressive support group who (in addition to the heavy burdens of depression, obesity, two teen-age sons, and extreme poverty) cannot divide in her feeling bureaucrat from bureaucracy, and hence is in the continual state of outrage of which you speak. Intermittently that outrage is utterly crippling to her political effectiveness.

Carrol