Effective Tax Rates- taxes on the wealthy spurring surplus

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 31 09:52:44 PST 1999

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Regarding what Nathan wrote below, ordinary people have seen there standard of
>living fall, and cutting taxes is one of the few possible ways in which
>they can
>hope for improvement. You are underestimating the ability of the leaders to
>confuse the issue.

U.S. hourly, weekly, and household incomes are up pretty strongly over the last couple of years, so that may be one reason that polls show little support for the Repub's tax cut agenda. Things might change in a downturn.

When I was in Toronto in the fall of 1997, I was interviewed for a TV talk show hosted by Brian Mulroney's former pollster - Alan Gregg was his name, I think, but I'm not sure - a smart guy despite his conservative politics. After the taping, he told me something like "Your politics are the way of the future. The right-wing message is out of steam." I asked him whether he was talking about Canada or the U.S. He said everywhere, and specifically singled out tax cuts as an idea whose time had passed.

Doug