Request For Info On Origins of European Welfare States

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jan 31 10:04:11 PST 1999

A friend recommended this one as just what you were looking for.

Michael

Esping-Andersen, Gosta, 1947-

Title: The three worlds of welfare capitalism / Gosta Esping-

Andersen.

Published: Cambridge, UK : Polity Press, 1990.

Paul Henry Rosenberg <rad at gte.net> said:

I'm interested in a concise overview of the origins of European welfare states, with or without comparison to the United States.

Any suggestions?

I'm more interested in descriptive (including quantitative) detail than ideological position, though of course the better the ideological insight, the better. But what I really need is a strong sense of the basic outlines of historical developments.