Danny Yee reviews FASHIOnABLE NONSENSE

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 31 10:42:11 PST 1999

rc-am wrote:

>doug mentioned spivak giving a paper and beginning and ending with the
>sentence: 'i am not a post-marxist'. without knowing the paper, i
>think she was referring to those attempts to, as you say, declare marx
>dead. doug? you know the title of the paper?

No I don't know the title; she gave it at the first Rethinking Marxism conference, in 1989 (I think). I understood virtually nothing she said between those two identical sentences though. My grad school friends Donna Landry & Gerald "Mac" MacLean, say she writes all her conference talks in longhand on legal paper sitting in front of a mirror.

Doug