Arianna Huffington

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Sun Jan 31 11:19:49 PST 1999

Marta Russell wrote:

> John K. Taber wrote:
>
> > Internet rumors are that Arianna is a Scientologist. What's
> > the truth of that, anybody know?
> >
> > --
> > Homines id quod volunt credunt.
>
> I don't know about this claim, but she was a main supporter of some
> cultist whose name - sorry there are so many of them - I cannot
> remember. She is inclined towards these kind of things.

She was/is (she's actually denied every having been a follower, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, so there's no reaon to beleive ANYTHING she says about this) a follower of a fellow known to his followers simply as John Rodger (or Rodgers, it's been awhile, I forget which) who modestly claims to be two levels ABOVE Jesus in the cosmic hierarchy. This was covered in a very revealing article in Vanity Fair back in October of 1994, along with her history of plagiarism and her faked commitment to volunteerism.

Rodgers' organization is called Movement For Spiritual Inner Awareness (MSIA), and he used a public-friendly intake mechanism called "Insight" Seminars (a warm-and-fuzzy variant on est), which move through several levels before getting into serious cultic control stuff.

There's also a chapter devoted to her in "Life 101: What To Do When Your Guru Sues You", written by John Rodgers' former ghostwriter, which provides a pretty harrowing look at MSIA.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"