SSI and racism

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 31 11:37:13 PST 1999

Regarding the attack on SSI which resulted in numerous children being cut off the rolls. . . . Given that the SSI outrage was driven by a House of Reps led by white Southerners - Gingrich (GA), Army and Gramm(Texas) and a Senate controlled by Trent Lott (Mississippi), I think it is important to realize that a good part of the scapegoating was directed at black children on SSI getting "craxy checks" as Gingrich put it. One only has to think of the country club southern elite who got these men elected and their citizens council and racist attitudes to see this connection. White southerners resent the fact that blacks can qualify and get government help. Having grown up in the south, I know this first hand.

Marta Russell