Racists in the GOP

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Jan 31 23:01:32 PST 1999

Frankly, I think Arianna's only politics are social climbing and self-promotion- she's drifted from New Age gurus when that was the zeitgeist to trailing Newt to the revolution, then abandoning ship before that wreck hit the rocks. You have to admire her for her sure sense of the wind, and if she thinks the wind is blowing in the anti-racism direction, that may be a good sign.

On the other hand, the point of the post is not her self-promotion but the documentation of the words and mealymouthed excuses of the racist Right leadership. A liberal probably couldn't have elicited such cold documentation.

--Nathan

-----Original Message----- From: pms <laflame at mindspring.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, February 01, 1999 12:45 AM Subject: Re: Racists in the GOP

IMHO this article by huffington serves the same purpose as her new hairdo. It makes her a more valuble commodity on the pundit circuit. Not for one moment do I believe that her anti-racism is the genuine article, but only makes her a more effective and dangerous advocate of ideas that are bad for people of all colors, unless they're in a very high income bracket.(course I think rich people would be better off in a more just world, but that's a hard sell).

Has anyone else watched her performances on those panel discussions? You know, in this corner, William Buckley and Arianna the Huff. And the challengers....Ira Glasser and......

They really get to flesh out their ideas in that venue.

Not buying it-p