Rieff on liberal imperialism

Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org
Tue Jul 13 07:00:08 PDT 1999

>>Hmm, this is exactly the sort of plausible response I figured would
>>greet any attempt to assail cruise-missile humanitarians' motivations.
>>Carl

>I'd say your prototypical cruise missile liberal would
>have been quite happy to see Kosova secured without
>bombing or other bloodshed. Problem is nobody on
>either side was paying much attention to the Balkans
>before March.

Yes, because without bombing or bloodshed the prototypical liberal would have celebrated the occupation of Yugoslavia and the destruction of the only non-capitalist economy in the region. That was the essence of the Rambouillet agreement: the total occupation of Yugoslavia and the destruction of its non-capitalist economy.

>Unfortunately there will be no end of opportunities
>to rescue innocent people from tyrants, so the loss
>of any one in particular should not be grounds for
>regret.

I wonder who is going to rescue the Balkan peoples from the tyranny of the USA. The depleted uranium liberal is happy cleansing Kosovo from Romas, Goras and Serbs. His next assignment is to create a host of purely ethnic mini states in the Balkans in the name of liberalism or it is in the name of neo-nazism?

elias