Critique of reporting on level of unemployment

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jul 13 16:30:54 PDT 1999

Greg Boozell wrote:

> The NATIONAL JOBS FOR ALL COALITION reports:> It should be noted
> that even these numbers do not include the vast and rapidly growing
> >prison population, disproportionately young, unskilled minority men.
> If they were >counted as unemployed, the official jobless rate would
> rise by over 1 percentage point. and the WSJ reports: >black
> unemployment has dropped to 9% from 15% in 1985. I wonder what the
> black unemployment figures would be if the prison population was
> factored in?

Greg,

Angela Davis says 16.5%. Also there are millions of disabled people who have been forced out of their jobs, or haven't been hired who would like to work. That would add another 7.8 million to the ranks of the unemployed. I have a working paper on this which will be published in the University of California Berkeley Employment and Labor Law, Fall 1999.

-- Marta Russell