more Pacifica madness

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 13 18:38:16 PDT 1999

To: freepacifica at penguin.josephson.com From: Max Schmid <mschmid at interport.net> Subject: WHERE IS KPFA??? IS IT HAPPENING??? Mime-Version: 1.0

I tuned in to the KPFA news feed at around 9:05 to hear (live/ tape?) of Dennis Bernstein being removed from studio after playing tape of yesterday's news conference. The commentator said that he had been put on "Administrative Leave" a half-hour ago. Much confusion, followed by dead air. Now a taped speech about Marxism has been airing since then. It sounds like the worst has happened. Sorry if this sounds alarmist, but what the fuck is up???

----

From: "Wonderwheel/Spooner" <wildrose at pon.net> Subject: KPFA off the air, Bernstein assaulted

During the news, KPFA went off the air briefly at approximately 6:05 p.m. and programming resumed with a canned speech.

Dennis Bernstein was heard in the back ground before the news was cut off saying something to the effect of: You'll have to shoot me then to get me out of the building.

Wonderwheel