Another Famous Black Goalie

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Thu Jul 15 19:54:50 PDT 1999

Jason wrote:

>It turns out Ms. Scurry grew up in Minnesota. According to the "Journal of
>Blacks in Higher Education," blacks have a higher rate of college graduation
>than whites in that state (and this probably correlates with a lot of other
>SE stats), even though blacks are only 4% of the pop (I may not have these
>stats exactly right).
>
>Once again, the steroeotypes prevail, and the "tipping myth" of school
>integration: if only blacks would live in predominantly white areas/states,
>then they could easily become "integrated!"

Minnesota is widely acknowledged to have the best primary and secondary education system in the country (Iowa is its biggest contender). This fact, coupled with your stat, makes me want to utter some bold, unsubstantiated (and perhaps irrelevant) claim like: If black children are given a decent system to work in they can outperform white students. Instead, I'll just say that this is a plausible counter-argument to the racist stereotypes.

Eric