Victory! City Council Opposes Sale of Edmonton Power (EPCOR)

EW Plawiuk plawiuk at connect.ab.ca
Fri Jul 16 06:48:33 PDT 1999

VICTORY! BUT THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES! Thanks To All You Who Participated in Our Cyber Campaign. Eugene Plawiuk

Friday, July 16, 1999

Council pulls plug on EPCOR sale

7-6 vote keeps utility for city

By MARK COOPER, EDMONTON SUN

The power will stay with the people - at least for now.

A nearly full chamber packed with seniors erupted in applause as

council voted 7-6 not to pursue the sale of EPCOR, the power

company owned by the city.

"I think what happened here today is a solid vote for the

company and for the people of EPCOR and the city is solidly

behind the future we have chartered for them," said EPCOR

CEO Don Lowry.

Lowry spoke confidently of the company's long-term viability

during a sometimes animated debate that required Coun. Leroy

Chahley to ask the audience not to clap or hiss.

But Lowry warned short-term uncertainty from industry

deregulation could mean a temporary dividend drop from the $67

million EPCOR paid to the city last year.

He said his employees should take the decision as a vote of

confidence but warned them of the days ahead.

"The customers with their dollars are going to vote who they're

going to go with. Nobody has got jobs for life or guarantees here.

It was simply a vote of confidence to proceed, to compete."

The defeated motion was to have city administration and EPCOR

prepare a company profile that council could then send out to

gauge interest from prospective buyers.

Coun. Brian Mason said councillors didn't buy the proposition it

was simply a fact-finding mission.

"I think people saw through that. They saw that people were

trying to convince us to take the next step down the privatization

road," said Mason, who lobbied at the last minute to win Coun.

Larry Langley's swing vote.

Langley said he made his decision at the lunch recess.

"I just felt the (motion) ... was really a step towards selling," said

Langley. "I didn't feel we should take that step until we've made

the decision. Do we want to sell?"

But Coun. Jim Taylor, who made the amended motion, said all he

wanted was information. So did Mayor Bill Smith.

"I didn't see anything wrong with trying to get some more

information," said Smith. "However, seven people felt they had

enough and didn't want to deal with it any more. That's their

decision. I respect that."

While sale options are dead now, a councillor from the winning

side could change his or her mind and bring it up again. After a

year, anybody can suggest it.

But Coun. Michael Phair has made a motion to direct

administration not to spend time on the issue until council's term is

up in 2001. That will be voted on after city staff look at its

feasibility.

Friday, July 16, 1999

Same old struggle, say sale protesters

By NICOLE BERGOT, EDMONTON SUN

They got a charge out of yesterday's council decision not to

float EPCOR for sale, but opponents say the battle isn't done.

"The fight still goes on," said 76-year-old Bill Danyk, president of

the Edmonton and District Labour Council.

Council's 7-6 defeat is too close for comfort, said Danyk.

"EPCOR's a goldmine for the City of Edmonton because it will

continue to keep the tax rates down. Why sell it?" he said, after

joining more than 100 protesters - mostly seniors - denouncing

the motion on the steps of City Hall.

"I'm a Raging Granny and it seems like there's a few of these

councillors who are airheads," said 75-year-old Evelyn

Tomlinson, clad in the group's traditional white shawl and bonnet.

"They want profits right now and don't think of the future."

Many seniors recall the day Ed Tel was sold in the early '90s,

said Danyk. The sale of the phone company went sour for

ratepayers who saw taxes jump soon after, he said, "and we can

see what direction the city's still going."

Cheers and applause greeted Ivor Dent - mayor from 1968 to

1974 - who's calling for a plebiscite on the issue.

"If it's sold, our taxes are going to go up and the average person

isn't going to be able to own a home, making us a second-rate

city," said Dent. "You just don't sell a thriving business and turn it

into cash."

LETTER OF THE DAY EDMONTON SUN JULY 16<BR>

POWER FOR the people. An international campaign launched on the World Wide Web in opposition to the privatization of EPCOR has been a success, says Eugene Plawiuk, the Web activist who launched the page in January. "We have had our site linked to various international labour and activist sites," says Plawiuk. "There is an international campaign, linked at our page, opposing the trend towards the privatization of public utilities." Plawiuk says that activists from around the world have been responding to the page and have been encouraged to e-mail protests opposing the sale of EPCOR by city council. "There are international campaigns opposing the privatization of electrical and water utilities being conducted in Europe and South Africa, they understand the seriousness of losing public utilities to private companies," says Plawiuk. "The whole world is watching Edmonton city council in its deliberations over EPCOR." A Web poll on the page shows 87% opposed to the privatization of EPCOR.

Eugene Plawiuk

(Not us. We support privatization.)

Power For The People Stop the Privatization of Edmonton Power (EPCOR) http://www.labournet.ca/epcor.html Lobby City Council/Vote in Our Poll/Join the Discussion mirrored at: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~plawiuk/epcor.html