More KPFA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 16 09:13:56 PDT 1999

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>After watching Lynn Chadwick's slimy performed assurances on tonight's
>news, I have absolutely no doubt about what she and Pacifica
>represent. She is neo-liberal tolerance sold as a commodity.

Pacifica management - PacMan to its friends - has been utterly cynical about using "diversity" to disarm its critics. The previous Pacifica top, Pat Scott, would denounce her critics as racists, sexists, and homophobes (she's a black lesbian). They're also using Mary Frances Berry, another black woman, to legitimate their work. A couple of weeks ago, PacMan denounced the old guard at KPFA as a bunch of white enemies of "diversity" - which prompted outraged denials from the black, Asian, and Latino staffers. It's like Clinton's "cabinet that looks like America" - "diverse" perhaps in color and sex, but a bunch of bourgeois hacks nonetheless.

Doug