more KPFA, plus WBAI's saviors

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 16 16:01:08 PDT 1999

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Two questions. With all the community support for the staff, wouldn't the
>PacMan feel a bit isolated. I have not heard many people coming out in favor
>of them.

I suspect they may be going after a new & different audience, so they don't care much about alienating the present audience.

I just got back from the Save WBAI demo. There were about 20 or so folks circling and chanting. How to put this gently - they were not the most dynamic-looking crowd. If this is what will save WBAI, it's doomed.

WBAI's studios are in a building full of nonprofits - National Association of Community Development Loan Funds, Ms. Foundation, Urban League, and, creepily, Freedom House - at the eastern end of Wall Street (the street that begins in a graveyard and ends in a river, as they say). The building itself was a 1980s real estate mistake that the city rescued from bankruptcy and turned into a house for the Third Sector. I think that's the company Pacifica wants to travel with - not Freedom House, but elite liberal nonprofits.

Doug