KPFA

mike mikepf at flash.net
Fri Jul 16 17:39:31 PDT 1999

"rcammer" wrote:

*OBVIOUSLY*, a key problem, a real issue, is domination of media by exploitative commercial shit, and commercial Shits; but isn't it possible that one validly can be more than a tad concerned about the Pacifica/KPFA doings as well? and non-trivially?

My reply:

I AM concerned. I think a corporate-style, in-contempt-of-democratic-principles coup on the part of the Pacifica board should be fought tooth-and-nail, to a point. That point is where it becomes fruitless or an alternative presents itself. I am, by the way, financially supporting the proposed litigation challenging the board.

In my original note I was wondering about the lack of a strategic, but perhaps high-risk, high-payoff alternative for those who support KPFA as it is at present. Such a strategy might go thus: presumably Berry, Chadwick et al are successful ladder-climbing, ass-kissing organizational types who understand certain uses and abuses of power but lack creative understanding of media or entrepreneurship. Why else would they seek to steal control of a network rather than start anew? I can't imagine how people with even subnormal intelligence could imagine they could maintain Pacifica's audience with such unsubtle tactics.

The value of a media outlet lies mostly, if not completely, in its listenership. Studios, offices, electronics are commodities. I realize that obtaining a frequency is an issue, but I am aware that there have been many ethnic electronic media startups in recent years, bankrolled as far as I know without help from Bill Gates or Ted Turner.

So let Berry, Chadwick and the other generals have their radio station. KPFA really consists of its listeners. Have a big fund drive called "Starting Over" and buy another frequency and another transmitter and start over. Maybe buy a couple of each. Leave the Pacifica board holding an empty bag.

M. Ferro