Arrighi on the Balkans (j. o'connor)

Barbara Laurence cns at cats.ucsc.edu
Sun Jul 18 16:09:40 PDT 1999

Rakesh and Wojtek, Thanks, you've saved me from having to post an anti-Arrighi tirade on a balmy Santa Cruz Sunday. Everything he says is wrong, just about. As you say, rarely do we find any analysis in world systems theory; rather everything is an example of a concept.

The substantive basis of world systems theory is 1500-1800, the age of absolutism and merchantilism, when the "struggle between nations," a world systems staple, was driving history, more or less. The reason being, that nation states were born in struggle, the Dutch against Spain, being the first important one. Also, you've probably noted, that the production of capital play little role in his theory, only its distribution, another sign of merchantilist thinking.

A possible antedote maybe Peter Gowan's, The Global Gamble (Verso), which I'm reading. Best wishes, Jim O'Connor