John-John, We Hardly Knew Ye

frances bolton fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Jul 19 06:19:05 PDT 1999

Chris asks:

>Is there going to be national mourning in the US as big as that in the UK
>with Diana? Will its meaning be the same? The People's Prince???

I didn't see TV coverage of either the death of Diana or JFK jr, but in terms of inches of newspaper space, Diana got more than Kennedy has thus far. She gave good innocent victim, but he's being blamed for the plane crash.

My mother is one of my barometers for measuring what's going on in mainstream US culture, and she called me crying when Diana died. I haven't heard a word from her about Kennedy.

Frances