Ghana joins protests over gold sales

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Tue Jul 20 01:28:23 PDT 1999

I take your point, Chris - but it's a damned diffcult call - impoverishing Africans by supporting their economic marginalisation in the hope that a continental support mechanism involving all nation-states might ensue is placing an awful lot of faith in a system where clout is ever more a function of one's relevance to the global economy. I, too, was under the impression gold was on its way to the status of lapis lazuli, but Doug and not a few others have argued we won't know this until a scary market dip comes along and does not culminate in a flight to gold.

It reminds me of that famous line of Keynes's - Brad has it as his e-mail signature - about long-run predictions being far too easy a task for economists ('in the long run we're all dead'). Africa is absolutely fraught right now - AIDS, famine and barbarism stalk the continent - to take yet another leg of this faltering stool is just possibly to invite a calamity of unprecedented proportions.

Only guessing, mind.

Cheers, Rob.