Shaikh's Work (was dollar diplomacy)

caritao at iname.com caritao at iname.com
Tue Jul 20 08:33:06 PDT 1999

I think Anwar Shaikh is on to some very fundamental questions on the stock market issue, the exchange rate issue, and indeed the value\price issue and its place in our whole national accounting. He is also one of the few these days asking the basic questions. But is he right?

A marxist perspective on the economy requires that there be some basic forces in the economy (albeit in constant flux) and that these create fundamental forces that become very, very hard for a government policy to overcome in the long run. In contrast, I think a left-keynesian perspective on the economy paints a picture of reliance on irrational herd reactions creating "unnecessary" problems that can be overcome by judicious government intervention. Of course the picture is never "day and night" - marxists acknowledge an enormous amount of "noise" and irrationality in the system and keynsians acknowledge some historical forces. The crux becomes which one is driving the system at this or that conjuncture.

Anwar is consistent and methodical. In "Measuring the Wealth of Nations" he mathematically strips away the "superficial" from prices to get down to the marxist fundamental of labor value in the American economy. He then regroups the national accounts so that they fall in the categories that Marx describes as the main actors. Empirically Shaikh then finds that the American economy behaves largely along the lines that Marx describes. Pretty important stuff.

I guess that in the presentation that Doug describes, Shaikh uses the same methods to show that prices of American imports (even after the exchange rate) also stay linked to the underlying productive forces in the foreign. This also seems pretty important - i.e. it is a first piece of evidence in a chain that would show that the global economy also basically moves along lines described by Marxists. But I am not so sure it is important to that the NYSE or some other market moves in explicable ways - as we know, not much actual investment actually comes from the money in the market anyway (since only the initial placement serves this role).

My biggest problem is that I don't yet have a feel for math operations that Anwar has used to get his results. In today's world, we all have to look for data that has been "tortured enough to confess the results". Does anyone have a feel for Anwar's math enough to comment on the plausibility of his very powerful conclusions?

I have the feeling that his dense work is one of those publications that will only show its full consequences over a long time. Definitely understudied.

Paul

--------------------------------------------------- Get free personalized email at http://www.iname.com