let teachers kill unruly students!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 20 13:19:43 PDT 1999

Things are getting mighty strange on the so-called left. I just read this in the new Counterpunch (an item I believe that the CP editor on this list had nothing to do with, which is another way of saying it was written by Alexander Cockburn):

"One of the pleasures of talking to Larry Pratt, executive director of the Gun Owners of America, is hearing Charlton Heston denounced as a chardonnay-swilling Hollywood sellout....

Pratt's solution to the schoolyard killings: Let the teachers bear arms, just like they do in South Africa, where on instructor recently gunned down a bellicose student...."

Me, I much prefer chardonnay to the idea of armed teachers, but, as the rustic Alex told me once, I'm an "urban weenie."

Doug