Nato and the War against Yugoslavia

Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org
Tue Jul 20 18:23:07 PDT 1999

Another article from the Globe and Mail, Canada's leading conservative newspaper.

Should NATO -- and Canada -- have gone

to war in Kosovo?

GORDON GIBSON

Tuesday, July 20, 1999

IN VANCOUVER -- Rollie Keith lives in Chilliwack, a town about an

hour's drive up the Fraser Valley from Vancouver. He was a 32-year

member of the Canadian Forces, serving in armoured units and the

Canadian Airborne. He retired when the last army base in this province,

CFB Chilliwack, was closed down a couple of years ago. Now if

British Columbia ever decides to secede, unlike Quebec we will have no

standing army to start with. This is one more example of discrimination

against the West -- but I digress.

Mr. Keith is a solid citizen. He holds a position on the regional health

board, and has run as a New Democrat in a couple of elections. His

military record will attest that he is no pacifist, and no stranger to the

necessary use of force. His recent experience as one of 64 Canadian

observers on the Kosovo observer group of the Organization for

Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) is our local contact with

the Kosovo tragedy. His account -- he has been making speeches on

the issue -- is a disturbing one.

In a telephone interview, Mr. Keith comes across as a straight-talking,

fair-minded man who does not say more than he knows. He was posted

to the observer group in January. The group had grown to 1,300

members (it was authorized to have 2,000) when it was pulled out on

March 20. NATO's bombs began to fall on March 24.

The question was, and remains: Was there a viable alternative to the

bombing?

Our former ambassador to Yugoslavia, James Bissett, has raised the

question, citing NATO figures that show that, up to March 24, only

about 2,000 people had died as a result of internal skirmishes, with few

external refugees and little property damage. By the end of the bombing,

tens of thousands were dead, 600,000 were internally displaced and

one million were refugees; there was tens of billions of dollars worth of

property damage and untold human misery. The Balkans have not been

stabilized. What's more, the credibility of the United Nations was

seriously damaged by NATO's ignoring of its rules, and relations with

Russia will not be the same for a generation.

Such a tragedy can be justified only if it is clear the bombing was the

only way to save human life on a major scale. Mr. Keith's witness says

otherwise.

As director of field services in an area close to Pristina, he travelled

extensively. He describes a situation that was nasty but sustainable, in

spite of constant destabilization attempts by the Kosovo Liberation

Army (KLA) -- the classic technique of revolutionaries everywhere.

An official Foreign Affairs chronology paints a different picture: It says

that deteriorating conditions for the observers required their withdrawal

for their own safety. NATO also claims that "ethnic cleansing" was

already under way. (How few users of that charged phrase remember

that it applies more impressively to the displacement of North American

Indians by Europeans?)

Which picture is correct?

"On March 20, general stability existed within Kosovo, " said Mr. Keith,

though tensions and a midscale insurrection continued. When he arrived,

"the bulk of the population had settled down after the previous year's

hostilities, but the KLA was building its strength in preparation for a

military solution, hopeful of NATO or Western military support."

He said there was "provocation from both belligerents. The KLA

initiated most terrorist acts, and the security forces countered with

harassment and intimidation and the employment of force. But during my

presence in Kosovo I did not witness, nor did I have knowledge or a

sense of, any directed state policy of so-called ethnic cleansing or other

mass humanitarian or human-rights abuses being applied prior to the

withdrawal of the international monitors on March 20."

The OSCE observers had small successes. The 700-person village of

Donje Grabovac had been depopulated by fighting. The observers

intervened, and "after our lengthy series of negotiations all participants

agreed not to provoke their opponents, and we were about to escort

former village delegations back to commence resettlement." Then came

the order to leave.

In common with many other observers, Mr. Keith believes that the

Rambouillet accords, whose rejection led to the bombing, were

impossible for any Yugoslav government to accept. (And of course

Belgrade improved on those terms in the eventual settlement -- though

at a huge cost in lives and property.) He thinks there had to have been a

better, if less macho, solution than war. His candidate would have been

an inducement to Belgrade (by lifting economic sanctions in exchange

for human-rights guarantees) to allow a much larger continuing observer

corps in Kosovo, backed up by UN troops.

These are crucial questions. If Mr. Keith's perspective is right, the

atrocities that followed the start of bombing would otherwise not have

happened.

A parliamentary committee should hold hearings on this. This is not an

indictment of the Canadian government; it was under terrible pressure.

But we must learn from this horror whatever we can.

E-mail: ggibson at bc-home.com

During the course of the war, I met two Canadians who were with the Kosovo Observer group of OSCE. They both categorically state that prior to the war,

there was no ethnic cleansing and that they were suprised by the low key response the Yugoslaves had against the KLA. One of them was a police officer, and still is I think, who argues that if the activities of the KLA were to happen in Canada, the response of the Canadian Armed Forces would have been far more devastating than that of the Yugoslave state against the KLA.

elias