Irish richer than English? not yet.

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Wed Jul 21 03:20:48 PDT 1999

Seth wrote:

<< (Which is now richer than its former colonial ruler, the UK.) >>

Not yet. If you check out the article, Wolf makes the distinction between GDP per head (a measure of economic activity in Ireland) and GNP per head (a measure of the actual national income of the Irish).

In Ireland, the ratio of GNP to GDP is about 80% -- they have a lot of foreign companies which pay their earnings straight out overseas and so are part of GDP but not GNP. In the UK, the ratio is substantially above 100%, because we're such big net owners of overseas assets.

So -- the Irish produce more than us, but we're richer. It was a bit naughty of Wolf to say this in the text, but print a chart that carried the opposite message. BTW, have you seen his ludicrous doublethink on the subject of labout protection laws in today's FT? sorry can't provide a link because bizarrely, our firewall blocks ft.com.

dd

(now containing new, improved, even uglier and more meaningless corporate disclaimer. The old one just implied "Don't believe any emails you get from Flemings", the new one adds a strong implication that we think the recipient is in some way picking our pocket. And of course, the bulked up blank lines and hyphens add a significant degree of legal enforceability at only a minor cost in ugliness.

OK, here goes ...)

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

IMMEDIATELY on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.