Argentina (was "currency board")

Juliana Shearer julie at siliconengines-ltd.com
Wed Jul 21 13:18:38 PDT 1999

Carrol Cox wrote, first quoting my friend Frank:

> > The country has strict labor laws that chokes it by not giving
> > companies a freer hand with its employees. You have "till death do you
> > part" employment over here because it is much cheaper to keep them than
> > to fire them.
>
> Query: (1) Is this supposed to be bad? I wish we had similar laws here.
>
> Query: (2) Is this just capitalist whining rather than the actual situation?
>
> Carrol

As to (1), I would love to say that all people should be able to always work for whichever place they want to work for, but not matter how idealistic I try to be, I always run into people I'd love to fire because I think that they are incompetent. Where can the line be drawn here? I run a small business, and when you get somebody bad in, it can break you. And we are not looking to make money--just break even.

The friend who wrote to me from Argentina is Colombian/Mexican/American. He is having a hard time getting a job, so that might explain his "anti-labor" views as expressed above.

In terms of (2), I think that he knows a lot more than I do about it. I certainly have never been there. If anybody else has news from Argentina, I would be very interested in hearing about it. Are you just questioning Frank's statements, or are you do you have an agenda here?? I just thought I'd post news from somebody involved, since I don't have the time to get involved more in other more interesting conversations on the list.

Speaking of which, I am moving to New York next month, and am looking for a job. So anybody in that area that wants a hard-working, left-leaning person interested in "economic" issues--knowing that I work hard enough to rarely post on the list (let alone read it)--please let me know!! The salary has to be enough to cover a husband in grad school at Columbia, so no non-profits...

Julie Shearer Silicon Engines www.siliconengines-ltd.com