Critique of Libertarians

Thu Jul 22 08:45:26 PDT 1999

This is a letter to a radio talk show host criticizing some frequent libertarian callers.

Charles Brown

Dear Mildred,

Concerning Inside Detroit today:

Today's discussion demonstrated the fallacies of abstract and absolute interpretation of the freedoms of speech and press, which are enshrined in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. These rights make sense as a protection for the average person in 1783 from the tyranny of big government. But today we must take account of the fact that big corporations have grown so large that they dominate even big government. So, the real danger to the average person's freedoms is from the domination of Big Business. Criticism of our government remains an important freedom and valid practice. Democracy depends on it. But to pose the issue as only the government and the individual leaves out of the picture the biggest player - The Monied Class.

This results in a fantasy version of political reality. Black leaders (who are not perfect; but who is ?) can be portrayed as oppressors for leading struggles against the "freedom" to advertise. Do we really think that Black leaders are oppressing cigarette, gun and alcohol manufacturers ? Suppressing their freedom of speech or advertising ? DOESN'T THE DISCREPANCY IN FUNDS GURANTEE THAT LITTLE PEOPLE CANNOT EVER OPPRESS THE TOP HATS AND BIG CIGARS ?

Are giant corporations really the "private individuals" that the First Amendment was written to protect ? Only if we make an abstract and cardboard interpretation of the idea of freedom of speech. Only if we disrespect the freedom of speech and press by making it ridiculous in the face of a changed world from the era of 1783, the American Revolution and the writing of the Constitution and its Amendments. The kernel of truth in the First Amendment is wasted by the approach of your callers who make individualism their number one principle and invisibility of the dominant power of money their obvious blindspot.

To put it in technical terms, today's libertarian ideology makes a fetish of abstract bourgeois individualism while winking at the existence of state-monopoly capitalism. The result is advocacy of a reactionary utopia. They are true petit bourgeois , ideological servants of the big bourgeoisie.

A real champion of liberty would fight for a new Bill of Rights that protects the working class individual from the oppressions and suppressions of our society's true government, the giant companies. How about freedom of speech and protection from firing for what an employee says ?

CB