Repub defense budget cutters

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jul 22 12:02:08 PDT 1999

Talk about crackpot realism. So you're saying we should build weapons because they're the only politically possible form of public spending?

Forget schools, healthcare, environmental repair and just feed the death machine? Really Max, you should get out of the Beltway more often. If this is the state of American social democracy, then we're in even worse shape than I feared.

This is lesser evilism taken to homicidal extremes. A few months ago, it was either run up big surpluses or privatize Social Security. Now you're offering the choice between idleness and death. >>

Easy big fella.

It was a hypothetical with postulated constraints. It was not my description of actual choices presently before us or necessarily before us later. But such a situation is not inconceivable. When spending goes up, it tends to do so across the board, not just in areas we like. That's the nature of the legislative process with two centrist parties and a somnolent working class.

>>The point
should be to challenge these awful choices our rulers present us with, not trying to figure out which is the slightly less bad option.>>

I do both, though I don't endorse the less bad option when it's not less bad enough.

mbs