Working Class History Test

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Jul 23 09:42:52 PDT 1999

This an aside about Washington, but may be of interest to some.

According to my family historian (my aunt) during the Revolutionary War when Washington was in North Carolina, the Brits happened to decide to take residence at the farm of a relative of mine. The daughter, who was only about 16 at the time, overheard that the Brits knew where Washington was camped out and planned to attack him. This young woman rode bareback in the night to warn Washington of the danger. For this he awarded her a piece of land that he owned in Illinois. I always wondered if Washington acquired or added to his landholdings during the war?? It would be very easy to cut deals with all sorts of people for land in exchange for military favors. In this case my relative got some land, but in others perhaps it worked to Washington's advantage. Anyone know of any such possibilities?

Marta Russell

-- Marta Russell author, Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/ramps.html