working class history test (richest man)

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Fri Jul 23 12:21:32 PDT 1999

Ok, at this point in time the concensus seems to be that Geo Washington was not the richest man in America at the time of the Revolution. Some have suggested mercantile/banking/property owners from Philadelphia, Boston or New York. Others have suggested the big slave owning planters/slave brokers/factors of the South.

Robert Morris and John Hancock have been mentioned. And I'm sure someone on the list could come up with the names of those who owned over let's say 1500 slaves at the time of the Revolution.

Marta mentions an olde legend. There is one in my Dad's family dealing with how Washington came up with some cold hard cash after the Revolution in 1784. Many years ago I approached a published Washington expert who was the head of at the time a university history department about this legend. The good doctor had written about the incident that led up to the speculation(?) that the legend was based on---his opinion was that there might be something to it. I can assure Mike Perelman that Marvin Kitman would have a field day with this one if he ever finds out about it! That is if Kitman is still alive?

Tom Lehman