Capital punishment in Florida

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Fri Jul 23 13:19:26 PDT 1999

But isn't it the case that many of these kill-the-wife kill-the-kids type, which happens several times a year, it seems, when interrupted, engage in shootouts and are precisely usijng the cops to kill themselves. Which doesn't stop it from being an easy excuse for police abuse. (sometimes a woman with a black eye really wasn't hit by her boyfriend, I don't know how we would tell her apart from the ones that cover up abuse, but it must happen) -gn.

kelley wrote:

> >This humanitarianism thing appears to be quite contagious. First,
> >the US and NATO wage a humanitarian war complete with bombs
> >against Yugoslavia. Then in Florida, cops humanely tried to save
> >the life of a death row inmate by performing CPR with their boots.
> >And as Michael pointed there were those cops in Riverside
> >who attempted to save a woman's life by shooting her.
> >
> >I submit that the world could use a little less such humanitarianism.
> >

> surely. you know, i was vegging out in front the tube and saw some report
> about the rise in the numbers of "suicide by cop." sorry, i was vegging so
> i have no idea what the hell i was watching, something that came on after
> the news.... anyway, the report claimed that more and more people are
> commiting suicide by engaging in staged confrontations with the cops in
> order to get shot. apparently, these folks can't bear to swallow some
> pills or blow their head off, so they get into confrontations armed with
> knives, empty guns, toy guns, etc. some supposedly leave suicide notes
> apologizing to the cop who had to kill them. i mean, i rilly rilly don't
> like conspiracy theories of the media, but good god i have to believe that
> this particular 'report' was planted by some p.r. team for some national
> assoc of police officers in order to fight the police brutality scandals of
> late.
>
> but hey, jim, the 'this is for your own good' rationale is an oldie.
>
> kelley

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298